Monoprice Maker Select Plus Upgrades
Because I don’t know when to stop, I’m going to start working on upgrades for my printer.
1. Filament Guide
Apparently one of the common problems is that slack in the filament can cause tangles- the best way to work around this is a filament guide. The first filament guide I printed was loose- too loose to use by itself. The second style just didn’t print properly, even trying to print it 2 different ways. I ended up using a command strip to stick the first one in place, and that seems to be working for the time being. Perhaps later I can modify the model and make it a little better fit.
Another common problem is that the all-metal thumbwheels will jiggle free over time, causing the bed to unlevel. The Solution is to use nylon locking nuts (nylock nuts) , but they’re so tiny you wouldn’t be able to adjust them- that’s where the 3d printed thumbwheels come in. The nylocks go on the underside of the printed thumbwheel, allowing better control and a more coarse texture than the metal thumbwheels. So far they’re working well.
While it’s not a direct mod, I printed a 3d case for a raspberry pi and loaded the pi with a custom OS called Octoprint. It controls the printer over USB so you’re not constantly inserting and removing sdcards. In addition, it gives you a nice web interface where you can upload your gcode files, track the print progress, and tweak configurations. It even lets you time-lapse control a pi camera to see the status and verify things haven’t went off the rails.
4. Allen Wrench and Scraper Hook Support
This is more of a utility modification than anything- with the 3d prints, you usually need to scrape the print off the bed when it’s complete, which means you have a standard scraper always laying around. This gives you a hook to store the scraper on, as well as slots to place the allen wrenches.
5. Fun Fan cooler
My original intention was to go with the Dii cooler, but after some investigation I came across the fun fan cooler, which looks like an earwig’s behind. it has a few print flaws which I’m going to attempt to fix and re-release it on thingiverse. So far it’s greatly improved the quality of my prints. Update: My attempt to fix the model failed miserably. I still have a lot to learn about organic modelling.
6. Pi Cam Arm
I’ve found a decent arm/camera holster for my raspberry pi camera, which should allow me to create timelapse videos. I still don’t have a great base due to the short cable I’m working with, but that should be remedied tomorrow. In the mean time, here’s a video: https://goo.gl/photos/AiX6PCX5Z45nR1Bu8 This was my second print of the Earwig vent/ Fun Fan Cooler.
7. Glass Bed
My glass bed has arrived, but the thermal pad won’t be here until Saturday. Between now and then I’ll have to print clips.
Right now I’m planning on the following upgrades:
- Z braces. I saw the tower shake a surprising amount during quick y axis movements- Z braces basically add a hypotenuse to the intersecting structure of the printer. The ones I’m looking at will have levelling feet. Update: Unfortunately, these are for the maker select, not the select plus, so they won’t fit. I’ll need to design my own.
- Metal Hotend with slotted block. Microswiss makes a nice hotend that supposedly works much better.
- Hardened steel nozzle. Another Microswiss upgrade that’ll let me work with a wider array of materials and temperatures.
- Machined lever and extruder plate. The existing level that holds the filament in place will warp over time- this one won’t.
Overall this has been an interesting diversion so far.
This entry was posted by Jesse Morgan on May 9, 2017 at 10:20 pm, and is filed under Uncategorized. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.