Stemming the flow of evincible Ignorance. We must try to understand for the sake of understanding.
Archive for July, 2012
Quick Mapmaking with Gimp
by Jesse Morgan in Uncategorized
Ok, so here are some quick steps to make a simple map.
- Create a small image, 20px by 20px
- Drop solid black onto background layer
- Create layer called “path”
- With white 1px pen, drag a windy area
- Upscale to 500px, turn off interpolation
- select white area by color on Path layer
- select distort – thresh 127, spread 8, granularity 2, smooth 2, smooth horizontal and vertical both checked
- create new layer called floor
- add layer mask (black)
- fill in selected area with white on layermask
- hide path layer
- switch to layer mask of floor, select white
- select->grow selected area by 20px
- dropfill floor layer with white- this should reveal the layermask
- filter -> noise -> rgb noise w/ rgb .6, alpha 0 no checkboxes
- filter ->distort ->mosaic, oct+squares, size 5, height 1, neat .2, light direction 135, color variation .2 all checked
- Gaussian blur 5px/5px
- enhance sharpen 90
- set fg to green
- bucket fill opacity 15%, fill whole selection
- add new layer grid
- filter render grid
I’ll flesh this out more, but I wanted to get it up so others could use it.
I’d like to merge this into donjon’s dungeon generator source by using the gimp API; if I could do that, it’d be pretty badass if I could automate the whole process.