SPoE: User Stories
This is intended to be a set of user stories/use cases for the author beta-reader site I intend to build (the initial article can be found here).
The purpose of this project is to create a site where Authors can go to have their content beta-read. Site is meant as an author-to-author tool for critiqing snippets.
User Account theme
- As a user
- I want to be able to log into the site [done]
- I want to be able to create an account [done]
- I want to be able to change passwords [done]
- I want to configure profile information [done]
- I want to be able to recover passwords via email [done]
General User stories
- As a user, once logged in I want to see snippets that can be critiqued
- Users should be able to log into to see an interface where they can submit a snippet or critique a snippet.
- There should be two classes of users; Authors and Reviewers. All users start out as Reviewers and see a Reviewer interface, but can be upgraded to author status by submitting a snippet.
- As an Author, I should be able to upload a doc file or paste plain text snippets.
- Authors should have a simple interface for pasting plain text to submit a snippet.
- There should be a separate field for the Authors to explain their content.
- Authors should be able to tag the snippet similar to del.ic.io.us
- Authors can use a “word replacer” to replace characters names if they wish to keep things secret.
- Must be capitalization agnostic
- Must rate content: mature audiences(default), young adult, everyone
- Authors should see a list of their uploaded snippets as well as critiques for each one
- Authors can mark snippets as public or private
- Authors see new critiques along with the user
- Authors have the ability to create psuedonyms
- Authors need to be able to give feedback on reviewers on how helpful it was
useless — non-useful — Acceptable-feedback — above useful — extremely useful
- Authors can request reviews via the buddy system- They post their snippet and are presented with a group of snippets of a similar size and can buddy with another author
- Each uploaded snippet can have multiple critiques
- Reviewers set their default review preferences- i.e. “what they’re willing to review”
- Reviewers interested in short stories can select a posted snippet via a set of filters, which default to their preferences
- Snippets appear anonymous to the reviewer.
- Reviewers can select a story based on a one-sentence substring example
- Reviewer reputation based on author feedback of critique
- Reviewers can become authors when they wish to post their own snippet
- Reviewers can rate a snippet on the following scale
horrible read — boring read — Average read — good read — exciting read
- Multiple length categories:
- Short Story
- Reviewer should be able to insert comments inline, highlight text, or cross off words
- Reviewer needs to be able to save/autosave their comments as they work before submitting them
- Should have a googledocs-collaboration feel
- Should authenticate with OpenID credentials
Why would someone want to be a reviewer?
- Become a better author themselves, even if they don’t submit a snippet
- assist new authors
- have your voice heard on what’s wrong with modern writing
- read something new without the commitment of reading a whole book
- taste test new authors and genres
Why would someone want to be an Author?
- Anonymous feedback on your book
- Help fellow authors
- Network with other authors
- May help alleviate writer’s block
If you have any suggestions or feedback, please let me know.